Is your cottage even really yours without a personalized sign? Add a unique personal touch to your place with a DIY cottage sign. Here’s how to make yours:
• Begin by printing out your name on plain paper with a font of your choice. We used legal size paper. Lay out any extra symbols or designs and tape everything together.
• Measure the height and width, then cut your spruce plywood to that length. Don’t forget to leave room for hooks!
• Use carbon paper (from Staples) to trace your design onto the wood, then a chisel or router to cut it out. Sand any rough edges and drill your holes for hooks.
• Use a blowtorch to burn the wood. The rougher the wood, the better the burn will look. Hold the flame close to the wood but move it quickly for an even distribution.
• Add some colour to your sign, or coat with any exterior finish if it will be outside.