Only weeks ago, the Muskoka Lakes Fire Department responded to a call where they found a cottage completely engulfed in flames, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage because a coffee maker was left plugged in.
Unfortunately, there was a similar scenario over the weekend.
With the assistance of the Huntsville Fire Department, the Baysville Fire Department responded to a fire on Bay Street at around 8:30 a.m.
Scary enough, the residents were still sleeping inside. According to reports, the smoke alarms didn’t go off because the fire entered the roof from the outside of the cottage.
The fire crews managed to get it under control after about an hour, however, the damage is currently estimated at $350,000.
While officials say that the fire appears to have travelled to the roof from the back of the building, the investigation continues.
Because the hazard at the cottage is so high, we’ve compiled these safety tips for both inside and outside the cottage.