Early this morning, the Muskoka Lakes Fire Department responded to a call on Cedar Rail Trail.
Unfortunately, when the crew arrived to the address around 6 a.m., the cottage was already fully engulfed in flames.
It took crews from the surrounding area including Minett, Port Carling, and two marine units, to control the blaze, however, the cottage was completely destroyed.
According to reports, the fire is believed to have been started by a coffee maker, which caused $150,000 in damages.
Luckily, there were no injuries, because no one was around at the time—a major concern for many cottagers who leave their place unattended for long periods of time.
There are simple precautions you can take—from storing firewood away from the cottage to keeping rain gutters free of dried leaves—if you’re concerned about a similar scenario happening to you. Read our fire safety tips for more about what you can do both inside and outside the cottage.