Nacho Bean Burger Supreme
You gotta love a bean burger that takes very little prep, is packed with big nacho flavours, and won’t fall apart on the grill. Make patties up to 2 days ahead, and store them in the fridge in an airtight container till it’s grill time. Switch out buns for pitas to make it vegan.
- 2 540 ml cans black or white kidney beans drained well but not rinsed
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced or rasped
- ½ cup “thick and chunky” style salsa medium heat
- ½ cup corn chip crumbs see Tip below
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 6 buns or pita pockets
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (400°F).
- In a bowl, mash beans with potato masher, leaving some intact. Mix in onions, garlic, salsa, corn chip crumbs, cilantro, and cumin, and season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into six (roughly 4″ x ³/4″) patties.
- Brush patties with oil, and grill for 4 minutes per side. Serve on toasted buns or pita pockets with Mexican-inspired toppings or your preferred condiments.
Tip: Place corn chips in a sealable bag, and smash with the bottom of a pan or crush with a rolling pin. Topping ideas: guacamole, salsa, spiced mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickled jalapeño
This recipe was originally published in the June/July 2020 issue of Cottage Life. Want more vegetarian grill recipes? Try our Buffalo Cauliflower or Blackened Tempeh Steak Salad
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!