Cooking on the grill intensifies veggies’ summer-goodness, and the glaze makes them finger-licking-better. Serves 4 as a main, 6 as a side.
Sweet Heat Summer Veg
2 zucchini or yellow squash, halved lengthwise
2 Asian eggplant, halved lengthwise
¼ cup maple syrup, agave syrup, or honey
2 tbsp vinegar (apple cider, rice, or white wine)
2-3 tsp sriracha or other hot sauce
8 green onions, trimmed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 lemon, halved
Fresh parsley and basil stems (leaves picked)
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (400°F).
2. Score flesh of zucchini and eggplant in a crosshatch pattern, and place halves, cut side down, on paper towel or a clean tea towel and let sweat, 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl, stir together the syrup, vinegar, and hot sauce until smooth; set aside.
4. Transfer zucchini, eggplant, and onions to a large plate or sheet pan, brush with oil, then glaze liberally with syrup mixture.
5. Put zucchini and eggplant on grill, cut side down. Grill until slightly charred, 3-4 minutes. Add glazed onions and lemon halves, cut side down, to grill. Flip zucchini and eggplant, baste again, close lid, and cook another 3 minutes. Remove everything to a platter, squeeze grilled lemon overtop, and drizzle on any remaining glaze. Dress with parsley and basil leaves to finish.
This recipe was originally published in the June/July 2020 issue of Cottage Life.