Blackened Tempeh Steak Salad
Simmering the tempeh in a seasoned broth both opens up the tempeh to allow for more flavour and diminishes its slight bitterness. Any leftover slices make great sandwich fillers, or you can fry them up for breakfast. Serves 4-6.
- 2 250 g tempeh cakes see tips
- 900 ml low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- ⅓ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 3 clove garlic, peeled, smashed
- 1 tbsp each paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme
- 1 tsp each cayenne pepper, dried oregano, ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 2 cobs of corn husks eased back, silk removed, husks replaced
- 1 bunch asparagus ends trimmed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 avocados halved, peeled, cut into chunks
- 4 cups baby spinach, baby kale, or romaine lettuce
- Prepared creamy vegan dressing such as Caesar or ranch
- salt and pepper
- Place whole tempeh cakes in a large non-stick frying pan, cover with broth or water, add tamari and garlic, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and gently simmer cakes, uncovered for about 10 minutes, turning once. Transfer the tempeh to a plate; discard liquid.
- In a small bowl, combine dried spices and herbs; set aside.
- Brush cakes with half the oil, and coat all sides with about half the spice mix. (Save the rest and use it on meat, poultry, fish, or vegetables.)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (400°F).
- Place tempeh and husk-covered cobs of corn on grill, close lid, and grill for 5 minutes. Toss asparagus with remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Flip cakes, rotate cobs, add asparagus to grill, close lid again, and cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Transfer tempeh cakes to a cutting board to slice. Remove husks from corn, stand upright in a bowl, and cut kernels off, slicing downward. Cut asparagus into bite-sized chunks.
- Assemble salad with your greens, cherry tomatoes, avocado, asparagus pieces, and corn kernels. Serve with sliced blackened tempeh and dressing on the side.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!