This recipe was originally published in the April/May 1997 issue of Cottage Life.
Grilled pound cake with warmed strawberries recipe
This grilled pound cake recipe hits the spot on hot summer days. No need to turn on the oven or sweat it out in the kitchen. This particular cake is a twist on French toast; served with warmed strawberries, it’s a great cottage dessert. Or a really decadent breakfast—why not? Make your own pound cake, or use a store-bought version.
- 2 cups strawberries halved or quartered
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 slices pound cake (each about 2 cm thick)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Shaved chocolate (optional)
- Combine berries and the sugar in an aluminum pie plate. Let stand at room temperature to allow juices to form. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat grill on high for a few minutes.
- Place strawberry mixture on one side of grill to warm. Stir occasionally.
- Beat egg, milk, and liqueur in small pie plate. Dip each slice of cake into egg mixture, turning to coat both sides thoroughly. Using an egg lifter (slotted flipper), place each slice on grill. Turn after 3 or 4 minutes, or when nicely browned, and brown second side.
- Place slice of cake on dessert plate and spoon berries on top. Garnish, if desired, with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Serve immediately.
You can also add other berries (raspberries, blueberries) and replace the orange liqueur with orange juice combined with ¼ tsp vanilla extract.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
8 delicious desserts you can cook on the grill.
Want more grilled recipe ideas? Here are 5 ways to make pizza on the barbecue.