Goat Cheese with Toasted Capers & Tarragon
Serve this creamy spread with crisp breads and crackers or as a pizza or bruschetta topping. For a fancier snack, spread on crostini and garnish with the caper-and-tarragon mix, and serve with olives, cherry tomatoes, smoked salmon, or prosciutto. If you don’t have tarragon on hand, use fresh dill, basil, thyme, or oregano—they will all be delicious—and if the spread is too thick, thin it with a little extra cream.
- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 ml)
- 2 tbsp capers (30 ml)
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon chopped (30 ml)
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped (30 ml)
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest (10 ml)
- ½ lb creamy fresh goat cheese (250 g)
- 2-3 tbsp 35% cream or sour cream (30-45 ml)
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add capers, green onions, and garlic.
- Toss for 2-3 minutes, until onions and garlic are soft. Do not brown. Remove from heat.
- Add tarragon and parsley (reserving about ½ tsp/2 ml of each for garnish), along with lemon zest.
- Combine goat cheese and cream in the bowl of a food processor and pulse mixture a few times.
- Add ⅔ of caper-and-herb mixture, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Reserve remaining caper-and-herb mixture for garnish.
- Line a small bowl with plastic wrap. Pack herbed cheese into bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
To serve, turn out cheese onto a small plate, remove plastic wrap, and top with reserved caper-herb mix and fresh herbs.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!