Giant pesto pizza muffins recipe
Who hasn’t eaten leftover cold pizza in the morning? This tasty, savoury muffin works for brunch, lunch, or snack time. Or, pair it with a hearty soup for a simple dinner.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking sode
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp italian seasoning
- 1½ cups pizza-blend cheese shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 8 tsp pesto
- 8 tsp pizza-blend cheese shredded
- 8 tsp parmesan cheese grated
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Italian seasoning in a large bowl.
- Stir in cheeses and sundried tomatoes.
- Beat egg whites, buttermilk, and oil together. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended.
- Fill 8 greased muffin cups almost halfway.
- Add ½ tsp pesto to each. Sprinkle ½ tsp of each cheese on top. Cover with remaining batter. Top each muffin with remaining pesto, spreading it out a little. Sprinkle remaining cheeses over pesto.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven 18-23 minutes or until muffin top springs back when lightly touched.
15 ways to soup up your soup Makes 8 large muffins. Tips Grease around the edges of the muffin cups to keep the tops from sticking. If you don’t have pre-packaged pizza-blend cheese, combine grated Cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Muffins freeze well. Check out these tips for freezing leftovers. This recipe was originally published in the April/May 2001 issue of Cottage Life.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!