Cranberry coffee cake recipe
This is a moist, not-too-sweet coffee cake that looks sensational whole, in ring form. But you can also bake it, slice it, and freeze the slices. Thaw individual slices for breakfast or tea time. In the mood for banana bread instead? Try this Nutty crunch banana bread recipe.
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1¼ cups whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1½ cups pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Cream shortening and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to cream mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Combine cranberry sauce and almond extract. Spread half of batter in greased 10” tube pan. Spread half of cranberry mixture over batter. Repeat with remaining batter and sauce. Sprinkle with nuts, if using. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in a pan on wire rack 20 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- To decorate, mix icing sugar and enough water to make a drizzling consistency. Add a few drops of almond extract, if desired. Drizzle over cake. Makes about 12-16 servings.Tip: If you don’t like almond flavouring, reduce to 1 tsp or replace with vanilla.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
This recipe was originally published in the April/May 2002 issue of Cottage Life.
Which baking pan should you use? Read our baking pans 101.