Cottage season is here! Try these two easy-to-build weekend projects. They will look great at the lake built with Western Red Cedar. DIY TIP: Check to see if your local cedar dealer has short lengths in stock, which could cut your costs.
Project 1: Tiki Bar
Gather round with family and friends at your super fun party-starter tiki bar, the perfect addition to a wedding or other special celebration, but guaranteed to wow the neighbours at any time. Now, who wants a drink?
Planter bench project
Project 2: Planter Bench
Easy to assemble in a day, this project gives a stately look to any outdoor space, with contemporary styling and built-in storage under the removable lid. Have a seat and enjoy your herb garden or beautiful flowers. Ahh…
What’s great about Western Red Cedar and why you should use it in your next DIY project?
• A classic Canadian look that’s never out of style and goes beautifully with the cottage setting.
• Nothing feels like, looks like, or smells as good as Western Red Cedar.
• Easy to work with: cedar is sturdy, versatile, and lies flat and straight.
• Ages naturally to a weathered patina, or able to take a wide range of finishes.
• Superb as a decking material, especially because it stays cool underfoot.
• Because of its all natural rot and insect resistant properties, cedar is low maintenance, long lasting, and affordable.
• Comes in a wide variety of dimensions, surface textures, and grades, so is adaptable to virtually any project or desired effect.
• Lightweight with minimal shrinkage.
• The greenest option: sourced from 3rd-party certified, sustainably managed forests; renewable and biodegradable; has a smaller carbon footprint than composites.
You’ll find project plans, how-to videos, and tons of ideas for these cottage builds and many more at realcedar.com.
Related Story Try these 2 super cedar cottage DIY projects