This recipe has stood the test of time. Originally published in 1995, it remains a staple summer dish for former Cottage Life editor Penny Caldwell. “The Napa Cabbage Salad was a Cottage Life recipe contest winner and is a real crowd pleaser. It makes a lot and I dare not arrive at our summer family reunion without it! It’s easy, can be prepped ahead for last-minute assembly, and, if by rare chance there are leftovers, it actually tastes better the next day.”
Napa Cabbage Salad
Napa cabbage, also called Chinese cabbage, looks like a long, celery-shaped head of cabbage, and goes well with the flavours in this salad. The recipe is great for a crowd—not only because it makes a lot, but because everyone seems to love it. Or, you can easily halve it if you wish.
- 2 pkgs instant ramen noodles with chicken beef, or mushroom flavoured soup base (85–100 g each)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp rice vinegar or balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 napa cabbage 10” long
- 8 green onions chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds toasted
- ½ cup sesame seeds toasted
- Several hours before using, mix together the soup flavour packets from the noodles, oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir occasionally.
- Chop the cabbage. (You should have about 16 cups.) Add onions and parsley.
- Mix dressing thoroughly with salad greens. Just before serving, add almonds, sesame seeds, and dry soup noodles, slightly crushed. Toss to mix.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
We recently republished the Napa Cabbage Salad in our 35th anniversary celebration in the June/July 2022 issue of Cottage Life.