Eggs, bacon, sausage—the breakfast special…together on a grilled pizza. Delicious! Change up the toppings, and you have a winner any time of day. If you don’t have pizza crust, use flatbread, naan, or even pita bread. Have everything ready beside the grill, and pay close attention because cooking time is short. Serves 2-4.
1 store-bought pizza crust (12˝/30 cm) or homemade pizza round made with fresh pizza dough
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4-1/3 cup tomato sauce
4 slices bacon, cooked and cut in small pieces or 2 small sausages, cooked and chopped (see “Pizza Topper Tips,” below)
¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack, Havarti, or fontina cheese
Freshly ground pepper and sea salt
Fresh herb garnish: finely chopped green onion, parsley, basil, or oregano
1. Preheat grill to high heat. When ready to cook, turn off one burner on a gas grill, or, if cooking over charcoal, push coals to one side to leave one side of the grate away from direct heat.
2. Brush the grill grate with oil. Place pizza crust, top side down, on the hot side of the grill, and cook for 1–2 minutes. (For fresh pizza dough, cook until the dough has firmed up and is just starting to brown on underside, 3–4 minutes.) Flip over with tongs or a wide metal spatula, and place the crust on the cooler side of grill.
3. Brush crust with tomato sauce almost to the edge. Arrange bacon pieces or chopped sausage on top, and cover with an even layer of cheese.
4. Carefully break each egg onto the pizza, spaced a few inches apart. Close lid, and cook for 6–10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking and cheese is melted and bubbly. Check underside of crust. If it is not crispy and lightly browned, slide it over to hot side of grill for a few seconds.
5. Lift pizza onto a serving board, sprinkle with fresh herbs as available, and season lightly. Cut into slices, and enjoy at once.
Pizza Topper Tips
Use grilled sausage as a pizza topping: Cook sausages on the grill, and, when they’re cool enough to handle, make a slit in each one, and peel away the skins. Roughly chop sausage meat.
Cook side bacon on the grill: Cook thick-cut bacon slices over hot fire for 1–2 minutes until underside is lightly browned. Use tongs to move slices to cooler side of grill. Cook for 3–4 minutes, then flip slices over, and place over high heat for a minute to brown the other side. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel.
Consider other egg-friendly toppings: Try slivers of roasted artichoke hearts, diced red and green sweet peppers or jalapenos, and sliced cherry tomatoes.