Baking dressing in a dish means vegetarians can enjoy it, plus it yields a golden crispy top and a soft irresistible inside. And, bonus, if you want to make this a day ahead to shorten your to do list on the day of the big meal, you can! (See Tip, below). Serves 10-12.
- 1 loaf bread crusty Italian or focaccia
- 6 tbsp butter divided
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 apples diced
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 1 pkg cremini mushrooms about 230 g, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup each fresh parsley and rosemary roughly chopped
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock or water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13" oven-proof baking dish.
- Cut or tear bread into 1 inch cubes, and transfer to prepared dish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter, add onion, and sauté until transparent, about 5 minutes. Add apple, celery, and mushrooms, and continue to cook until lightly golden, 10-12 minutes.
- Scrape contents of skillet onto cubed bread, stir in fresh herbs, poultry seasoning, and stock, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Melt remaining butter in same skillet, and drizzle over stuffing, coating bread well. Tightly cover dish with foil, and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 15 minutes more to slightly crisp top.