Let’s face it—a lot of winter is pretty yucky. Slushy puddles, dirty snow, and unending cold and darkness make winter the season that everybody loves to hate. But whether you’re planning to hibernate until April or you’re lacing up your skates, winter is here, so we might as well make the best of it.
Here are our top 10 reasons why winter’s not all that bad:
1. Snuggling down under a thick comforter in the middle of January is the most comforting feeling ever. Bonus points if you’re using an electric blanket or hot water bottle.
2. That hush that blankets everything after a snowfall—even in the middle of the city.
3. There’s something intensely relaxing about watching the snow fly, listening to the wind how, and knowing that the weather is too rotten to go anywhere, so you might as well curl up on the sofa with a mug of tea and catch up on your reading.
4. Christmas TV specials get you sniffling (in a good way).
5. You get the ultimate relief of climbing into a hot bath or shower after spending two hours outside shovelling.
6. You finally get to break out your skis, skates or ice-fishing gear.
7. Comfort food—all day, every day.
8. Any arguments your kids have while playing outside are muffled by the snow.
9. That nice philanthropic glow you get after shoveling your elderly neighbour’s driveway.
10. Sitting on a beach somewhere warm is that much better when you know everyone back at home is suffering through a 30-centimetre dump of snow.
What do you think are the best parts of winter?