One of the best parts of collaborating with Toronto’s Carbon Bar has been taste testing their delicious cottage-themed cocktails. They’ve created a (very!) spicy caesar, a smokey lemonade, and a sweet sangria to compliment their signature Cottage Life menu. Each sip will transport you back to the lake—without having to sit in traffic!
Try making these cocktails at home—or the cottage—to add a little kick to your weekend.
Cottage Life Caesar
Infusing the gin with herbs and spices adds some extra kick to this classic brunch cocktail. Carbon Bar recommends that you allow the infusion meld for 7 to 10 days before mixing your gin with the rest of these savoury ingredients.
For the infused gin:
- 750ml bottle of Beefeater 24 infused with the following:
- 1 full sprig of fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 medium size cloves of garlic
- 1 Jalapeno cut open length way
- 2 oz of Beefeater 24 infusion
- 6 oz of Clamato juice
- 4 dashes of worchestershire sauce
- The juice of half a lime – use a citrus reamer and save the half juiced lime for ganish.
With a morter and pestle, blender or coffee grinder. Take roughly 30 – 40 wasabi cover peas and break down into a powder. Dip the rim in lime juice and cover the top edge with the blitzed wasabi peas.
Use the hollowed out half lime. Fill with whole wasabi peas and place over top of the ice.
Camp Fire Guava Lemonade
This unique take on a dockside favourite mixes smokey with sweet to create one refreshing—and potent—drink. Assembly is super simple, but the result is anything but.
- 1 oz Avion Blanco Tequila
- 1 oz Fortuna Mezcal
- The juice from 1 whole lemon
- 1 oz Lasang Souchong Simple Syrup
- Top with Jarritos Pink Gauva Soda
The addition of a watermelon shrub (vinegar-based sweet syrup) makes this cocktail a little more time consuming but the fun mix of flavours is totally worth it. Throw whatever fruit is fresh on top and you’ll have one crowd-pleasing punch.
For the watermelon shrub:
- the flesh of 1 small to medium watermelon
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 3/4 cup of Apple juice
- 3/4 cup of white vinegar
- 4 oz of white wine
- 2 oz watermelon mint shrub
- 1 oz Ginger beer
- 2 oz Strawberry Vanilla Syrup