These sweet-smelling rhubarb muffins were named in honour of the bouncy, fluttering birds lured to cottage feeders and brightly-coloured flowers. Or, to your kitchen, when you’re baking! If you’re using frozen rhubarb, thaw it and pat it dry before mixing it with the muffin batter.
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
⅔ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups rhubarb, chopped
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tbsp butter, melted
1. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
2. Beat egg, brown sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Gradually add dry ingredients, mixing with a whisk just until smooth. Stir in rhubarb.
3. Scoop batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling about three-quarters full.
4. Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle about 1 tsp per muffin over batter.
5. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for about 20 minutes, or until set. Makes about 2 dozen muffins.
This recipe was originally published in the April/May 2001 issue of Cottage Life.