These sweet-smelling rhubarb muffins were named in honour of the bouncy, fluttering birds lured to cottage feeders and brightly-coloured flowers. Or, to your kitchen, when you’re baking! If you’re using frozen rhubarb, thaw it and pat it dry before mixing it with the muffin batter.
Hummingbird delight rhubarb muffins
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups rhubarb chopped
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tbsp butter melted
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Beat egg, brown sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl until blended.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, mixing with a whisk just until smooth. Stir in rhubarb.
- Scoop batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling about three-quarters full.
- Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle about 1 tsp per muffin over batter.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for about 20 minutes, or until set.
This recipe was originally published in the April/May 2001 issue of Cottage Life.