Ale Double Onion Dipper
No one can resist a good chip dip. Remember that easy-to-make guilty pleasure onion chip dip made from sour cream and onion soup mix? This version takes a little bit more effort, but the rich flavours from the caramelized onions and the pale ale take it up a notch and are well worth it. Makes about 3 ½ cups.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet onions chopped
- 1 cup 14% sour cream
- 1 cup full-fat cream cheese Liberté works well in this recipe
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ cup citrusy pale ale such as Radical Road Brewing’s Yuzu Pale Ale
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup chives for garnish
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onions, and cook until they start to soften, then reduce heat to low, and caramelize onions until golden brown, but not crispy (15–18 minutes total). Set on a paper towel to drain some of the excess oil.
- Mix sour cream, cream cheese, and mayo together in a bowl. Still mixing, gradually add beer. Add cooked onions, paprika, and salt. Mix together well.
- Sprinkle chives on top for extra onion flavour. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Serve chip dip with thin tortilla chips and/or chopped veggies for dipping.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!