Rules and Regulations
Cottage Life Shelfies Contest (the “Contest”)
Official Contest Rules (the “Rules”)
Participation in the Contest constitutes full and unconditional agreement and acceptance of these Rules, which are final on all matters relating to the Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations and shall be governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein.
- Contest Sponsors: The Contest is sponsored by Blue Ant Media Solutions Inc. dba Cottage Life (“Cottage Life”) and Penguin Random House LLC (collectively, the “Contest Sponsors”). This Contest will be run in accordance with these Rules, subject to amendment by Contest Sponsors. Entrants must comply with these Rules, and, by entering the Contest, will be deemed to have received, understood and accepted the Rules.
- Contest Period: The Contest opens at 12:01 am (EDT) June 28, 2018 and closes at 11:59pm (EDT) September 14, 2018 (the “Contest Period”)
- Eligibility: This Contest is open only to legal residents of Canada (excluding Quebec) who are of the age of majority in the Province in which they reside. Employees (and their immediate families and those with whom they are domiciled) of the Contest Sponsors and each of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, governors, agents, and their advertising and promotional agencies are not eligible to enter. Immediate family includes the husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, sister, mother, or father of an individual.
- How to Enter: No purchase necessary.
To enter the contest, fill out the “Shelf Checkout” available in the Summer 2018 issue of Cottage Life Magazine, add up the number of checked boxes, and on Facebook and/or Instagram post your tally of checked boxes along with a picture of your cottage bookshelf with the hashtag #cottageshelfie.
Limit of one (1) entry per person regardless of whether entry is posted on Facebook or Instagram. A simultaneous post on Facebook and Instagram by the same person shall be deemed to be one (1) entry.
Your picture must only be of your cottage bookshelf and the books on that bookshelf and cannot contain any individuals; you should try to avoid any pictures of individuals, or any personal items. If you did not take the photo submitted or if the photo is not of your bookshelf, you will require the consent of the individual who took the picture and/or of the owner of the bookshelf to submit the photograph as an entry to this Contest. If the photo contains photos of individuals, by entering the photo in the Contest, you represent and warrant to Contest Sponsors that you have obtained the appropriate consents from such individuals. The submitted photo must never have been previously published, exhibited publicly, or selected as a winner in any other contest and only photos taken by amateur photographers are eligible. By entering the Contest, you (1) represent and warrant to Contest Sponsors that the photo will not violate the rights of any third parties or any applicable laws; and (2) you give Blue Ant the right to reproduce the photo in Cottage Life Magazine (and represent that you have all necessary rights to give Blue Ant that right).
All entries must be received during the applicable Contest Period in order to be eligible. Multiple entries in excess of the stated maximum from the same Facebook/Instagram account holder or using any device to play multiple times or as multiple contestants will result in disqualification. All entries must be submitted from a valid Instagram or Facebook account, as is applicable. In the event of a dispute as to entries submitted by multiple users having the same Instagram, Facebook or e-mail account, the authorized subscriber of the account used to enter the Contest at the actual time of entry will be deemed to be the participant and must comply with these Rules; the unauthorized subscriber(s) will be disqualified. Authorized account subscriber is deemed to be the natural person who is assigned the account by Instagram/ Facebook. Potential winners may be requested to provide the Contest Sponsors with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the Instagram/Facebook account associated with the selected entry.
- Prize: There is one (1) Prize available to be won consisting of a Penguin Random House reading pack (ARV CAD$335).
Prize must be accepted as awarded and is not substitutable, transferable or convertible to cash. Prize will be made available for pick-up at Blue Ant’s office at 130 Merton Street, Toronto, Ontario immediately after the winner has been notified. In the event that the winner is unable to pick-up the Prize, it will be shipped to the address provided by the winner on the Contest entry form within 30 days of the winner being verified and confirmed.
- Winner Determination: Within 7 days after the end of the Contest Period at Blue Ant’s office at 130 Merton Street, Toronto, Ontario, the eligible winner will be selected by a random draw from all eligible entries received during the Contest Period. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received during the applicable Contest Period.
Contest Sponsors will contact the selected entrant by Facebook or Instagram direct message, as is applicable. If a selected entrant does not acknowledge winner notification attempts within seven (7) days after Contest Sponsors’ first attempt at contact or, if contacted, does not claim his/her prize, or does not meet all of the Contest conditions outlined in these Rules, the selected entrant will be disqualified and will forfeit his/her prize, and another entrant may be selected from among all remaining eligible entries whom Contest Sponsors will attempt to contact, and who will be subject to disqualification in the same manner. This process will continue until contact is made with a selected entrant who meets Contest requirements or until there are no more eligible entries, whichever comes first. Contest Sponsors is not responsible for failed attempts to notify any selected entrant. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
- Prize Substitution: Any prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and non-refundable, has no cash-surrender value, and must be accepted as awarded with no substitutions. Contest Sponsors reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute and/or modify any prize with a prize(s) of equal or greater value for any reason.
- Winner Conditions: To be declared a winner, a selected entrant must first: (i) have complied with, be in compliance with, and continue to comply with the Rules; (ii) correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question to be administered by Contest Sponsor; and (iii) sign and return a Declaration and Release form within a specified period of time confirming compliance with the Contest Rules and releasing the Releasees (as defined below) from liability in connection with the Contest.
- Tampering: All entries that are incomplete, illegible, damaged, irregular, have been submitted through illicit means, or do not conform to or satisfy any condition of the Rules may be disqualified by Contest Sponsors. Contest Sponsors takes no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged, misdirected, late or destroyed entries, typographical or other production errors, or any errors or omissions in printing or advertising related to this Contest. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated maximum number of entries by using multiple/different names, email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that person’s entries and eligibility to win the prize and that participant will be disqualified from the Contest. Any use of robotic, repetitive, automatic, programmed or similar entry methods or agents (including, but not limited to, contest entry services) will void all entries by that entrant.
Contest Sponsors assumes no responsibility for failure of the internet or the entry page during the Contest, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, Contest Sponsors reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
- Modification/Termination: Subject to applicable law, Contest Sponsors reserves the right, in their sole discretion and without liability, to terminate or suspend the Contest in whole or in part, or modify the Rules of the Contest at any time without notice if fraud, technical failures including any network server or hardware failure, viruses, bugs, errors in programming, or communications or any other errors or other causes beyond the control of Contest Sponsors corrupts the administration, integrity or security of the Contest or if any other factor interferes with the conduct of this Contest as contemplated by these Rules, or for any other reason at the sole discretion of Contest Sponsors.
- Publicity: By accepting a prize, each winner agrees that Contest Sponsors and their respective designees may use his/her name, photographs, videos, likenesses, city of residence, biographical information, prize information and/or statements about this Contest for advertising and/or publicity purposes in any and all media (now or hereafter known) throughout the world, in perpetuity without compensation, notification, or permission, unless otherwise prohibited by law.
- Release and Liability: By entering this Contest entrants forever release and hold harmless Contest Sponsors and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies, affiliates and respective directors, officers, owners, partners, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively the “Releasees”) from any and all damages, injuries, death, loss, or liability to person or property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of entering the Contest, the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize, or while preparing for and/or participating in any Contest and/or prize-related activity.
- Construction: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrants and Contest Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Province of Ontario without giving effect to its conflict of law rules and provisions. All entrants consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the Province of Ontario. All entrants expressly agree that the Ontario courts shall have sole jurisdiction over any dispute or litigation arising from or relating to this Contest and agree to submit to the laws of and the jurisdiction of the federal courts of Canada and provincial courts of the Province of Ontario, and hereby waive the jurisdiction of any other court that now or in the future could be considered competent for any reason. The venue shall only be Toronto, Ontario. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
- Facebook/Instagram Disclaimer This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook/Instagram. You are providing your information to Contest Sponsors and not to Facebook/Instagram. The information you provide will only be used for notification of winners, and distribution of promotional material to entrants who opt in to receive such material.