10 things you might find at the cottage that your dog shouldn’t eat

Published: August 1, 2019

Dogs love exploring, especially at the cottage. While it’s great to let them off leash and give them room to roam, it’s still important to keep an eye on what they’re doing—particularly what they’re putting in their mouths. Dogs will chomp down on just about anything, and the cottage can be a haven for harmful items.

If your dog does ingest something poisonous, Mallory Schell, a registered veterinary technician at the Cottage Country Animal Clinic in Parry Sound, Ont., suggests having peroxide and Benadryl on hand. “Peroxide makes them vomit, so they can vomit up what they’ve eaten, and Benadryl helps with snake bites and bug bites.”

If their symptoms escalate to vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargic behaviour, then Schell says it’s time to bring them to a clinic. To avoid getting to that stage, here are 10 things your dog should steer clear of at the cottage.

Featured Video