This classic moist cake is great for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. Take it down to the dock with your morning coffee for a perfect start to the day.
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter
¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
½ cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 tbsp milk
½ cup icing sugar
1. To make the streusel, mix granulated sugar with brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter. Stir in flour until well combined. Chill streusel in the fridge while making the cake.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch-round metal baking pan.
3. To make the cake, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar until very well combined and a little bit fluffy. Add eggs. Mix until fully combined. Add flour mixture, and stir with a spoon until just mixed. Add sour cream. Mix gently until well combined.
5. Spoon half the batter into the pan. Smooth into an even layer. Use your hands to crumble about half the chilled streusel mixture evenly over the batter. Spoon remaining batter over streusel, and smooth into an even layer (the batter will be sticky). Crumble remaining streusel mixture evenly overtop.
6. Bake 50–60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Place pan on a rack. Cool 10 minutes.
7. To make glaze, add milk into icing sugar, and stir until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake and let cool. Serves 12.