Heading to the cottage and don’t know if the power is out? Prepare marinated meat ready for the grill, or a simple ready-to-heat pasta sauce or casserole, at home to take along on a cottage weekend: it makes the cook’s life easier when you arrive, whether on a standard Friday night, or in emergencies (see Tip below). Pull the meat off the skewer into a pita, and dinner is served, no plates required! Serves 4
For the Rub:
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp kosher or sea salt
1 clove minced garlic
For the Kebabs
1 1/2 lbs (675 g) boneless chicken thighs or breasts
1 red onion, cut lengthwise into 8 wedges
2 lemons, each sliced into 8 thin slices
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
8 medium bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
Fresh herbs such as chopped coriander, parsley, thyme, or chives (optional)
1. Combine all rub ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Trim chicken and cut into bite-sized pieces, approximately 1 1/2-inches.
3. Toss chicken in rub until all pieces are coated. Add onion, lemon slices, and olive oil; toss to coat.
4. Transfer everything into a large resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator or a chilled, well-insulated cooler for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
5. Thread chicken on skewers, inserting a few layers of onion and a slice of lemon now and again.
6. Preheat grill. Lightly oil the grate and arrange kebabs in the centre of the hot grill. Turn kebabs every 2-3 minutes until lightly charred all over and chicken is cooked through, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Remove chicken from grill; season with pepper and sprinkle with fresh herbs, if available.
Serve with warm pita bread and toppings such as Greek yogurt, onion, chopped fresh tomato, cucumber, and lettuce.
Tip: Assembled kebabs can be prepared ahead, sealed in a large resealable freezer bag and stored in the freezer. Arrange bag in freezer so that skewers lie flat and separate. Allow to thaw in refrigerator before grilling.
Related Story Here’s how these cottagers are embracing self-isolation