A version of the diner favourite, from Linda Haynes’ cookbook, More from Ace Bakery, this recipe takes much of the work out of the traditional club sandwich: Pick up prepared ingredients, including a roasted chicken, at the grocery store, and just layer everything on a crusty baguette. This is another robust sandwich that can be made a few hours ahead, wrapped in foil, and kept in the fridge.
- 2 cooked chicken breasts
- 6-8 bacon slices
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (60 ml)
- 1 1/2–2 tbsp basil pesto (20–30 ml)
- 1 baguette
- 6-8 Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 small jar roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 lb sliced fontina cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Slice the chicken into 1/4″ (6 mm) slices and set aside. Fry the bacon and drain on paper towel.
Mix the mayonnaise and pesto together in a small bowl.
Cut the baguette in half horizontally. Spread the bottom half with the pesto mayonnaise and arrange layers of lettuce, chicken, bacon, cheese, and roasted peppers. Season to taste and top with the remaining baguette half. Cut into 6 pieces to serve.