Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner, 2000 – Second Prize
By Lori Lampert, Maple Beach, Ontario
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp dry bread crumbs
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in a food processor bowl. Process for about 20 seconds or until dough forms a ball. (Or rub butter and cheese into flour-sugar mixture with fingertips until the dough clumps together. Gather into a ball.) Flatten ball into a disk. Chill if necessary for easy rolling. Roll out on floured surface 1/8″ (3 mm) thick. Line a 9″ (23 cm) deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim and crimp edges. Chill while preparing the filling.
Sprinkle bread crumbs over bottom of pie shell. Toss remaining ingredients together to coat fruit evenly. Turn into pastry, mounding in centre.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or with fingertips until crumbly. Pat mixture evenly over filling.
Bake in preheated 400ºF (200ºC) oven on the lower rack 45-50 minutes, or until the fruit is tender.
– Shield pastry with foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking if it becomes too brown.