This timeless and delicious apple blueberry crumble pie recipe won Second Prize in the Cottage Life Recipe Contest in 2000.
Apple Blueberry Crumble Pie
Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner, 2000 – Second Prize
- 1 food processor - can omit and simply mix by hand if desired
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter cubed
- ⅓ cup cream cheese cubed
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp dry bread crumbs
- 4 large apples peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter cubed
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor bowl. Process for about 20 seconds or until dough forms a ball. (Or rub butter and cream cheese into flour-sugar mixture with fingertips until the dough clumps together. Gather into a ball.)
- Flatten ball into a disk. Chill if necessary for easy rolling.
- Roll out on floured surface 1/8 in (3 mm) thick. Line a 9 in (23 cm) deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim and crimp edges. Chill while preparing the filling.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over bottom of pie shell.
- Toss remaining ingredients together to coat fruit evenly.
- Turn into pastry, mounding in centre.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or with fingertips until crumbly.
- Pat mixture evenly over filling.
- Bake in preheated 400ºF (200ºC) oven on the lower rack 45-50 minutes, or until the fruit is tender.
Shield pastry with foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking if it becomes too brown.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!