Over-stuffed bags, wrinkled clothing, and leaky liquids can turn what should be a relaxing getaway into a hassle. But you don’t have to forsake your favourite comforts for a neat and organized suitcase. Employing these simple packing hacks before you leave for the cottage can reduce the stress once you arrive.
Here are 9 ways to make your next outing a little easier:
1. Pack your shoes in a shower cap to prevent dirt and dust from spreading to your clean clothes. You can maximize space even more by stuffing socks or small tubes of liquid, such as travel-sized hairspray, inside the shoe.
2. Avoid folds, creases, and wrinkles by rolling your clothes like a burrito. This packing method also maximizes space.
3. Put a dryer sheet in your suitcase to absorb any odours and keep clean clothes smelling fresh.
4. Air-compression plastic bags will save you space but can also lead to wrinkles. Use one to keep dirty or damp clothes separate from others if you’re in a rush—and add a laundry sheet to keep those items from smelling up the rest of your suitcase.
5. Prevent leaks by placing pieces of plastic wrap between the bottle and the lid of your toiletries, such as shampoo, conditioner, and liquid soap.
6. If you’re missing the cover, store your razor in a binder clip to prevent it from nicking other items.
7. Wrap up your cables and cords and store them in a glasses case to prevent them from getting tangled with other items in your suitcase.
8. Keep your necklaces tangle-free by stringing the chains through straws. Pack them in a zip-up pencil case or small makeup pouch.
9. Use an old pill container to pack Q-tips. The container is also useful for carrying around a day’s worth of sunscreen rather than a super-sized bottle.
Get your DIY fix with Cottage Life’s Brojects: