As if there wasn’t enough to think about when closing up, you also need to consider how to keep your place safe and secure over the winter months. For cottagers who will be shutting down this fall, here’s a checklist, provided by the OPP, of what you can do to help “crime-proof” your cottage and ensure there are no big surprises upon your return.
• Remove all valuables from the residence. This includes jewellery, televisions, radios, microwaves, cameras, video game equipment, cell phones and all other valued possessions.
• Remove all alcohol.
• Ensure all items left behind are engraved through OPP Operation Identification.
• Make sure fuels supplies are safely secured for the season.
• Ensure your cottage or trailer is safely secured and locked.
• Secure and lock all outbuildings.
• Secure and lock riding lawnmowers, ATVs, snow machines and/or other off road vehicles.
For more useful tips, we’ve compiled our top closing up Q&As.