Contest rules and regulations
Cottage Life Magazine Contest (the “Contest”)
Official Contest Rules (the “Rules”)
Participation in the Contest constitutes full and unconditional agreement and acceptance of these Rules, which are final on all matters relating to the Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations and shall be governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein.
- Contest Sponsors: The Contest is sponsored by Blue Ant Media Solutions Inc. dba Cottage Life (“Cottage Life”). This Contest will be run in accordance with these Rules, subject to amendment by Cottage Life. Entrants must comply with these Rules, and, by entering the Contest, will be deemed to have received, understood and accepted the Rules.
- Contest Period: The Contest has six (6) separate opening and closing dates (each a “Contest Period” and together, the “Contest Periods”) corresponding to different issues of Cottage Life Magazine (each an “Issue”) as follows:
Contest Period 1 – Spring Issue: Opens on February 21, 2018 and closes on March 23, 2018 at 11:59pm (Eastern Time)
Contest Period 2 – May Issue: Opens on April 5, 2018 and closes on May 5, 2018 at 11:59pm (Eastern Time)
Contest Period 3 – Early Summer Issue: Opens on May 15, 2018 and closes on June 15, 2018 at 11:59pm (Eastern Time)
Contest Period 4 – Summer Issue: Opens on June 27, 2018 and closes on July 27, 2018 at 11:59pm (Eastern Time)
Contest Period 5 – Fall Issue: Opens on September 13, 2018 and closes on October 13, 2018 at 11:59pm (Eastern Time)
Contest Period 6 – Winter Issue: Opens on November 7, 2018 and closes on December 7, 2018 at 11:59pm (Eastern Time)
- Eligibility: This Contest is open only to legal residents of Canada (excluding Quebec) who are of the age of majority in the Province in which they reside. Employees (and their immediate families and those with whom they are domiciled) of the Contest Sponsors and each of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, governors, agents, and their advertising and promotional agencies are not eligible to enter. Immediate family includes the husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, sister, mother, or father of an individual.
- How to Enter: No purchase necessary.
In each Issue, an item will be identified (for example, a fish, a fire pit or mason jar etc.) (a “Designated Item”) and readers will be asked to count how many of that Designated Item appear in the Issue, whether as an illustration, icon, photograph etc. During a Contest Period, count the total number of items identified as the Designated Item for that Issue that you can find in the pages of that Issue. Then visit the Contest entry page using the Issue specific url provided in the Issue and fully complete all mandatory fields including the number of the Designated Item found and submit the online entry form on the Contest entry page. No purchase is required to enter.
Limit of one (1) entry per person during each Contest Period.
All entries must be received during the applicable Contest Period in order to be eligible and will become the property of the Contest Sponsors and will not be returned. Entries which are incomplete or fraudulent are null and void. Multiple entries in excess of the stated maximum using the same email account or using any device to play multiple times or as multiple contestants will result in disqualification. All entries must be submitted from a valid e-mail account that may be identified by reverse domain name search. In the event of a dispute as to entries submitted by multiple users having the same e-mail account, the authorized subscriber of the e-mail account used to enter the Contest at the actual time of entry will be deemed to be the participant and must comply with these Rules; the unauthorized subscriber(s) will be disqualified. Authorized account subscriber is deemed to be the natural person who is assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization, which is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Potential winners may be requested to provide the Contest Sponsors with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the selected entry.
- Prize: There is one (1) Prize available to be won during each Contest Period (for a total of six (6) Prizes). The Prize for each Issue (and its corresponding approximate retail value) will be identified in the Issue in question.
Prize must be accepted as awarded and is not substitutable, transferable or convertible to cash. Prize will be made available for pick-up at Cottage Life’s office at 130 Merton Street, Toronto, Ontario immediately after the winner has been notified. In the event that the winner is unable to pick-up the Prize, it will be shipped to the address provided by the winner on the Contest entry form within 30 days of the winner being verified and confirmed.
- Winner Determination: Within 7 days after the end of the applicable Contest Period at Cottage Life’s office at 130 Merton Street, Toronto, Ontario, the eligible winner will be selected by a random draw from all eligible entries received during the applicable Contest Period that have correctly determined the number of Designated Items in the relevant Issue of Cottage Life magazine. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received during the applicable Contest Period.
Cottage Life will contact the selected entrant using the contact information provided in the Contest entry form. If a selected entrant does not acknowledge winner notification attempts within seven (7) days after Cottage Life’s first attempt at contact or, if contacted, does not claim his/her prize, or does not meet all of the Contest conditions outlined in these Rules, the selected entrant will be disqualified and will forfeit his/her prize, and another entrant may be selected from among all remaining eligible entries whom Cottage Life will attempt to contact, and who will be subject to disqualification in the same manner. This process will continue until contact is made with a selected entrant who meets Contests requirements or until there are no more eligible entries, whichever comes first. Cottage Life is not responsible for failed attempts to notify any selected entrant. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
- Prize Substitution: Any prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and non-refundable, has no cash-surrender value, and must be accepted as awarded with no substitutions. Cottage Life reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute and/or modify any prize with (a) prize(s) of equal or greater value for any reason.
- Winner Conditions: To be declared a winner, a selected entrant must first: (i) have complied with, be in compliance with, and continue to comply with the Rules; (ii) correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question to be administered by Contest Sponsor; and (iii) sign and return a Declaration and Release form within a specified period of time confirming compliance with the Contest Rules and releasing the Releasees (as defined below) from liability in connection with the Contest.
- Tampering: All entries that are incomplete, illegible, damaged, irregular, have been submitted through illicit means, or do not conform to or satisfy any condition of the Rules may be disqualified by Cottage Life. Cottage Life takes no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged, misdirected, late or destroyed entries, typographical or other production errors, or any errors or omissions in printing or advertising related to this Contest. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated maximum number of entries by using multiple/different names, email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that person’s entries and eligibility to win the prize and that participant will be disqualified from the Contest. Any use of robotic, repetitive, automatic, programmed or similar entry methods or agents (including, but not limited to, contest entry services) will void all entries by that entrant.
Cottage Life assumes no responsibility for failure of the internet or the entry page during the Contest, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, Cottage Life reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
- Modification/Termination: Subject to applicable law, Cottage Life reserves the right, in their sole discretion and without liability, to terminate or suspend the Contest in whole or in part, or modify the Rules of the Contest at any time without notice if fraud, technical failures including any network server or hardware failure, viruses, bugs, errors in programming, or communications or any other errors or other causes beyond the control of Cottage Life corrupts the administration, integrity or security of the Contest or if any other factor interferes with the conduct of this Contest as contemplated by these Rules, or for any other reason at the sole discretion of Cottage Life.
- Publicity: By accepting a prize, each winner agrees that Cottage Life and its designees may use his/her name, photographs, videos, likenesses, city of residence, biographical information, prize information and/or statements about this Contest for advertising and/or publicity purposes in any and all media (now or hereafter known) throughout the world, in perpetuity without compensation, notification, or permission, unless otherwise prohibited by law.
- Release and Liability: By entering this Contest entrants forever release and hold harmless Cottage Life and its parent companies, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies, its affiliates and respective directors, officers, owners, partners, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively the “Releasees”) from any and all damages, injuries, death, loss, or liability to person or property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of entering the Contest, the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize, or while preparing for and/or participating in any Contest and/or prize-related activity.
- Construction: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrants and Cottage Life in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Province of Ontario without giving effect to its conflict of law rules and provisions. All entrants consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the Province of Ontario. All entrants expressly agree that the Ontario courts shall have sole jurisdiction over any dispute or litigation arising from or relating to this Contest and agree to submit to the laws of and the jurisdiction of the federal courts of Canada and provincial courts of the Province of Ontario, and hereby waive the jurisdiction of any other court that now or in the future could be considered competent for any reason. The venue shall only be Toronto, Ontario. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.