Apple Blueberry Crumble Pie
Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner, 2000 – Second Prize
By Lori Lampert, Maple Beach, Ontario
- Course: Desserts
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dry bread crumbs
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor bowl. Process for about 20 seconds or until dough forms a ball. (Or rub butter and cheese into flour-sugar mixture with fingertips until the dough clumps together. Gather into a ball.) Flatten ball into a disk. Chill if necessary for easy rolling. Roll out on floured surface 1/8" (3 mm) thick. Line a 9" (23 cm) deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim and crimp edges. Chill while preparing the filling.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over bottom of pie shell. Toss remaining ingredients together to coat fruit evenly. Turn into pastry, mounding in centre.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or with fingertips until crumbly. Pat mixture evenly over filling.
- Bake in preheated 400ºF (200ºC) oven on the lower rack 45-50 minutes, or until the fruit is tender.
- - Shield pastry with foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking if it becomes too brown.