Sometimes the grass really is greener. But instead of getting frustrated with a stubborn lawn, start using the right practices, tools and materials to grow a great-looking, stress-free lawn at your home or cottage.
These tips will ensure you are setting yourself up for lawn success:
1. Mow frequently with sharp blades. The key is frequent cutting, which forces the turf to grow thick and keep out weeds. Keep mower blades sharp so the grass isn’t battered and made susceptible to disease.
2. Don’t go too short. Remember not to cut the grass too short. A grass level of five to nine centimetres will give you a fine, sustainable lawn.
3. Keep the mulch. Leave the clippings on your lawn. Not only do you eliminate the time to bag and dump the mulch, but the clippings fertilize the soil and lawn.
4. Avoid watering at night. Be sure to let the grass dry out before the dew falls, since extended moisture invites disease. The best time to water is pre-dawn or early morning.
5. Grow thick grass. Get rid of any weeds as early as possible. The best defense against pests, weeds and diseases is to grow thick, vigorous turf.
For more lawn tips and information about tool options for proper maintenance visit www.husqvarna.ca.