Learn all about being safe on land and water at the upcoming SARscene (Search and Rescue) Field Day in Edmonton, Alberta on Oct 15th, 2016.
AdventureSmart will have plenty of hands-on activities for all ages at the SARscene Field Day explaining all about the 3 T’s (Trip Planning, Training and Taking the Essentials) and other helpful safety tips to make your next outdoor adventure safe and enjoyable. These family friendly activities are based on AdventureSmart’s Hug a Tree and Survive, Survive Outside and PaddleSmart programs dedicated to encouraging Canadians and visitors to Canada to “Get informed and go outdoors”.
The SARscene Field Day is a free family friendly outdoor (rain or shine) event dedicated to promoting search and rescue response and prevention. The SARscene Field Day takes place from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM at Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park, located next to the Edmonton Valley Zoo, in Edmonton, Alberta. Please dress for the weather.
Some of the AdventureSmart activities include:
- Learning how to prepare a trip plan, determining if you have the right knowledge or skills for your chosen activity and what essentials to carry;
- The basics of using a map compass and GPS for navigation;
- Learning about the different types of alerting and notification technologies and communications devices.
- Understanding how to choose the right clothing and footwear for your activity and to dress in layers;
- Avalanche safety and snowmobiling in the backcountry;
- Water and paddle sport safety; and
- For the kids, learning about telling an adult where they are going, If they get lost, to “Hug-A-Tree” and stay put, how to stay warm and dry and how to help searchers find them by answering their calls.
There will also be search and rescue and emergency services equipment and vehicle displays and demonstrations of SAR responders in action, both on land and on the water.
Come out for a few hours or the whole day, there will be plenty to do and see for the whole family.
To learn more about the SARscene Field Day visit http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/mrgnc-mngmnt/rspndng-mrgnc-vnts/nss/srscn-2016/fld-dy-en.aspx
To learn more about AdventureSmart visit www.adventuresmart.ca