A cool-weather starter or side dish; served with slices of leftover chicken, it’s a terrific lunch.
- ¼ cup (75 ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 oz (250 g) shiitake or white mushrooms, caps only, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sake or fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tbsp (5 ml) fresh, or 1 tsp (15 ml) dried thyme, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches arugula, trimmed, washed, and dried
- 2 oz (60 g) Parmesan cheese, shaved
1. Heat 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in sake or lemon juice, garlic, 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper, then simmer a few minutes more.
2. In a bowl, toss arugula with remaining oil and vinegar, salt, and pepper.
3. Arrange arugula on a platter or individual plates and top with warm mushrooms and shaved Parmesan cheese (a vegetable peeler works well).