Whether you’re at the cottage or at home, April Fool’s Day is the perfect opportunity to have a little fun with your family. These harmless, kid-friendly pranks will have everyone laughing.
If you’re at the cottage and planning to go for a family hike, get everyone’s hat wet and put them in the freezer the night before. Take them out just before you plan to leave and watch the looks of shock when they get pulled on. Bonus points if you have really ugly backup hats for everyone to wear.
Upside down house
This one is a little labour-intensive, but it’s still simple and fun. When everyone’s gone to sleep, turn as many things in the house upside down as you can. Even more fun? Stick things to the ceiling.
Give everyone the heebie-jeebies by cutting out pictures of spiders, ants or cockroaches and sticking them to your kitchen counters. Ick!
Envelope of “doughnut seeds”
Print up a fake seed envelope and fill it with Cheerios. Tell your kids you’re going to plant doughnuts as a cottage project.
Wet paint run-around
If you’re doing work on your cottage and you have guests coming up, this one is perfect for them. Tape a sign to your front door saying, “Wet paint. Use back door.” Then put up a similar sign at the back saying, “Wet paint. Use front door.”
Use everyday food for a bunch of great pranks:
- Make “sundaes” out of mashed potatoes and gravy. Your kids will be excited that they get sundaes for dinner until they eat the first spoonful.
- Make a “grilled cheese sandwich” out of pound cake and orange frosting.
- Freeze a bowl of cereal with milk. Serve it to your kid in the morning.
- Make a “sunny side up egg” out of a puddle of vanilla yogourt and half a peach.
- Put food colouring in your milk container.
If you’re going on a road trip, secretly put a sign on the back of your car asking people to honk and wave at your kids—you’ll love their looks of confusion.
Float a helium balloon in the toilet (or outhouse) and close the lid. Listen for the yelp of surprise when the lid gets lifted!