Since 2003, Cottage Life has been a friend to Cottage Dreams, a registered charity that offers recent cancer survivors time away at a donated, private cottage to recover, reconnect, and rebuild their lives in a natural setting. We’ve supported this worthwhile cause through donations, in-kind support, publicity, merchandise, and volunteer time. The year-round program is available free-of-charge to Ontario residents of all ages and with types of cancer. Cottage owners are eligible for a tax receipt for the one-week cottage donation and a thorough screening and placement program ensures peace of mind.
Sanctuary North is a non-profit organization devoted to providing a retreat for refugees and their local hosts in a cottage setting. Cottage Life staff and frequent contributor Wayne Lennox have participated in work weekends at Sanctuary North, near Bancroft, Ont. and our Summer 2009 issue featured a story about the experience this unique organization provides to their guests.
The Cottage Life Environment Grant
2010 Grant Recipients
Meet the Selection Panel
Apply for the 2011 Cottage Life Environmental Grant
The Cottage Life Green Committment
Cottage Life Green Cottager Awards: 2007
Cottage Life Green Cottager Awards: 2008
Cottage Life Green Cottager Awards: 2009
Our environmental awards
- 2009 Eco Award for Print Promotion from the Circulation Management Association of Canada was given to our circulation manager, Heather Maxwell-Tufford
- 2009 Aveda Environmental Award for Magazines: Long-time Leader, Third Place
- 2007 Aveda Environmental Printing Award in the category of circulation under 250,000 (following our brother publication explore winning in in 2006)
- 2006 The Order of the Forest Award for Leadership in Ancient Forest Friendly Publishing and Printing was presented to Jodi Brooks, our Production Manager and Al Zikovitz, our Publisher
Our environmental initiatives
- Cottage Life magazine is printed on post-consumer recycled, FSC-Certified ancient-forest-friendly paper (Cover: 30% Inside pages: 85-100%)
- Our brother publication, explore, was the first glossy magazine in North America to use 100% post-consumer recycled, FSC-Certified ancient-forest-friendly paper
- Cottage Life offers up to $5,000 each year in grants through the Cottage Life Environment Grant for initiatives that enhance and preserve the quality of cottage country’s natural environment.
Our green-initiative partners