Every cottager’s worst nightmare caught on film

By Cottage LifeCottage Life

Share on Facebook

Warning: The video below contains foul language (as any cottage owner might expect).

Craig Milton was visiting his sister and brother-in-law’s cottage in McDougall, Ontario, when he heard his name being screamed in the middle of the night. When he stumbled out of the trailer he was sleeping in, the cottage was engulfed in flames.

With not much to do but watch the fire consume the cottage while they waited for the fire department, Craig filmed over ten minutes of video and uploaded it to YouTube under the title “We were having fun till the cottage burned down.”

Apparently everyone made it out safely, but the loss is still devastating. “My sister and brother-in-law lost everything this weekend,” he wrote on Facebook. “Their home and all their possessions were reduced to ash.”

It goes without saying that protecting your cottage from fires should be a first priority. Read more about fire-safety tips here.

(Via Craig Milton)

Print Email Leave a comment

video

2 comments

Sort order:

Oldest Newest
meatman@abattoir.net

Craig Milton

Aug. 14, 2013

10:53 am

It was pretty horrific to witness, and there was NOTHING we could do but watch it all go up... Being in a remote area like this, firefighters are more "foundation flooders" as that's pretty much all that's left by the time help arrives... Having a gas powered pump to pull lake water in the event of a fire would have changed the outcome of this and is a worthy investment. You're invited to view the album of this weekend here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151725332876311.1073741841.531306310&type=1&l=5a418cf5ea


Marzik

Aug. 14, 2013

10:07 am

This is awful and we should all do everything we can to avoid similar disasters. Our cottage is off-grid and has no city-supplied water system. We only have minimal water pumped up from the lake, and rain barrels. We regard fire as one of the biggest threats to the property and were thinking of posting a gentle and polite notice for visitors near the entrance, to help remind everyone to constantly be fire-cautious. Has anyone yet written such a notice, and might like to share it?


You need to be logged in or a registered user to leave a comment

Log in  |  Register

Tonight on Cottage Life

  • 06:00 pmSELLING BIG
  • 06:30 pmMY RETREAT
  • 07:00 pmBUYING ALASKA
  • 07:30 pmBROJECTS
  • 08:00 pmSELLING BIG
  • 08:30 pmSELLING BIG
  • 09:00 pmBBQ PITMASTERS
  • 10:00 pmDINING INN-VASION
  • 10:30 pmBBQ CRAWL
  • 11:00 pmBUYING ALASKA
  • 11:30 pmMY RETREAT
View Full Schedule

MOST POPULAR


Cottage Life