Bulgur is the secret ingredient in my favourite vegetarian chili (you can use quinoa for a gluten-free version). I usually combine carrots, celery, red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini in this dish.
- Serves: 6
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur (125 ml)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (30 ml)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups vegetables, cut into 1
- 1-3 tbsp chili powder (15-45 ml)
- 1 salt (5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper (1 ml)
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) plum tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1. Cook bulgur according to package directions. Set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and vegetables for 4–5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, salt, and pepper. Toss over heat for 2–3 minutes.
- 3. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 25–30 minutes. Stir in cooked bulgur and beans. Heat through; adjust seasoning.
- Tip: For even cooking, cut vegetables that take longer to cook, such as carrots, into smaller pieces.