Moist Yogurt Cornbread
Cornbread is always a favourite, especially beside a bowl of chili. This version has lots of crunchy corn flavour and is discretely virtuous, since the usual melted butter is replaced with canola oil. Try toasting slices on the grill—they’re delicious.
- 1/4 cup cups yellow cornmeal (300 ml)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (175 ml)
- 1/4 cup sugar (60 ml)
- 1/2 tsp each of baking powder, baking soda, and salt (2 ml each)
- 1 cup reduced fat (1%–2%) yogurt (250 ml)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup canola oil (75 ml)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, eggs, and oil. Add cornmeal mixture, stirring with a spatula until just blended. Do not over-mix. Spread batter in 9" (23 cm) square baking pan or iron skillet, lightly greased and lined with parchment. Bake until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- Variations: Add 3 tbsp (45 ml) finely chopped pickled jalapeño peppers to the batter. Or add 2/3 cup (150 ml) grated cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup (60 ml) diced roasted red pepper, 2 tbsp (30 ml) each finely chopped green onion and jalapeno pepper to the dry ingredients.