Sausage Sun-Dried Tomato Cornbread Stuffing
This stuffing goes great with our Grilled Whole Chicken with Lemon Herb Gravy.
- Serves: 6-8
- Course: Dinner
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil (45–60 ml)
- 3/4 lb Italian sausage (hot or medium) (375 g)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (60 ml)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped (15 ml) (or 1 tsp/5 ml dried thyme)
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (125 ml)
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated (5 ml)
- kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups cornbread, in rough crumbs or cut in small cubes (1.5 L)
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cut sausage casings and crumble meat into pan. Cook until lightly browned. Scrape with slotted spoon into a large bowl, reserving any remaining fat in the pan. Set aside.
- Add approx. 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil to pan. Stir in onion, celery, and garlic and cook until just softened, about 10 minutes. Scrape into the bowl with all the cooking juices.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and toss lightly to combine.
- Lightly butter a large, shallow baking dish. Spread stuffing mixture in an even layer. Cover with foil and set in a preheated (350°F/180°C) oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- - Homemade cornbread makes for a delicious stuffing.