Hoisin-Glazed Pork Roast
Brining is for folks who like to try something different. The optional step involves immersing the cut in a salted liquid and so requires additional prep time, but it results in exceptionally moist, flavourful, and tender meat. With this Asian-flavoured roast, serve blanched and sautéed collard greens or long beans, hot buttered corn on the cob, roasted root vegetables, and simple steamed rice.
- Course: Dinner
- 4 lb boneless pork blade (2 kg)
- 4 1/4 qts Orange Ginger Brine (optional, recipe follows) (4.25 L)
- 1 1/2 cups Hoisin Marinade and Glaze (recipe follows)
Orange Ginger Brine
- 4 qts water (4 L)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (125 ml)
- zest of one orange, in strips
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns (15 ml)
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped (30 ml)
Hoisin Marinade & Glaze
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (125 ml)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (15 ml)
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder (5 ml)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (30 ml)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (30 ml)
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce (30 ml)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (15 ml)
- 1/4 cup sake or sherry (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (60 ml)
- Place pork in the cooled brine, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Remove pork from brine, pat dry, and discard brine.
- Cover pork on all sides with half the marinade and set in a covered dish in the refrigerator for several hours, or overnight.
- Lightly grease grill rack and arrange for cooking over indirect heat. Set drip pan in place under grill rack and preheat barbecue to 400°F/200°C.
- Sear pork over direct heat, approximately 2 minutes per side. Reduce heat to about 325°F/170°C and move pork over indirect heat to cook for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches between 155°F/68°C and 165°F/74°C for medium to medium- well. Turn pork and glaze every 30 minutes with remaining marinade.
- Remove pork from barbecue and set aside to rest 10–15 minutes, lightly covered with foil, before slicing.
- When you’re brining, choose any nicely shaped piece of pork, except loin, which is already tender.
Orange Ginger Brine
- Bring water to a boil. Add ingredients and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Set aside to cool. Makes 4 1/4 quarts (4.25 L).
Hoisin Marinade and Glaze
- Combine all ingredients. Makes about 1 1/2 cups (375 ml).