Fruit & Cereal Squares
With the addition of oats and seeds, these satisfying treats are a Rice Krispie square’s feel-good, hippie cousin.
- Serves: 30 squares
- Course: Snack, Desserts
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats (250 ml)
- 1/4 cup butter (60 ml)
- 40 regular-sized marshmallows (about 10 oz/300 g)
- 3 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal (875 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups lightly crushed cornflake cereal (375 ml)
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds (125 ml)
- In a dry frying pan over medium heat, lightly toast oats, stirring constantly, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter and marshmallows. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in oats, cereals, fruit, and seeds. Mix well. Turn into a greased 9" x 13" (23 cm x 33 cm) pan. Press firmly with the back of a spoon or spatula. Cool completely for about 1 hour and then cut into squares.