Who says a brittle can only be made with nuts? The mixture of sweet and salty flavours with a crunchy texture is addictive; the hot sauce brings the zing.
- Course: Snack
- 1/4 cup corn syrup (60 ml)
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar (30 ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 ml)
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- 2 cups pretzels (500 ml)
- In a large bowl, mix syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, and hot sauce. Add pretzels, stirring until thoroughly coated. Turn out onto a parchment-lined, rimmed cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325°F (170°C) for 17-22 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until crisp and golden. Cool completely, then break into pieces. makes about 2 cups (500 ml).
- Any kind of nut works well in place of the pretzels. I love whole walnuts, almonds, or pecans. Of course, you could make a batch with nuts and a batch with pretzels and then mix them.
- - Feeling patriotic? Substitute 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup for the corn syrup.