Peanut Butter & Jam Bars
These ingenious squares are just as comforting as the favourite cottage sandwich. I’ve always loved raspberry jam with peanut butter, but the choice is entirely up to you. Thick jams work better, however; thin jams make the bars too soft.
- Serves: 2 dozen bars
- Course: Snack, Desserts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (125 ml)
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter (175 ml)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (250 ml)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups cups all-purpose flour (375 ml)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (2 ml)
- 3/4 cup thick jam or jelly (175 ml)
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts (125 ml)
- In a large bowl, cream butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and egg until smooth. Add flour and baking soda. Mix well. Press 2/3 of dough into an 8" (20 cm) square pan lined with foil and greased. Spread jam on top.
- Stir peanuts into remaining 1/3 of dough. Using your fingers, sprinkle dough evenly over jam.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30-35 minutes, until set and golden. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Using the foil to help, lift out of pan. Peel foil away from edges and cut into bars; remove from foil.