Savoury shortbread is very trendy at the moment and surprisingly easy to make. Cayenne or chili powder gives these crackers some zip; a splash of hot sauce will do the same. For a calmer flavour, leave it out.
- Serves: 3 dozen wafers
- Course: Snack
- 2/3 cups butter, softened (150 ml)
- 1 tsp sugar (5 ml)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (250 ml)
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning (5 ml)
- Pinch cayenne or chili powder
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Swiss cheese (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup crisp rice cereal (125 ml)
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add flour and seasonings; mix well. Stir in cheese and cereal. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon, then work dough with hands until it comes together. Shape dough into a 12" (30 cm) roll. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Unwrap and cut roll into 1/4" (6 mm) slices. Place on parchment-lined or ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 17-20 minutes, until golden around edges. makes about 3 dozen wafers.
- If you don’t have any Italian seasoning on hand, you can substitute dried basil or dried oregano.