Welsh Rabbit with Bacon
Whether you favour “rabbit” or “rarebit,” this classic British dish of melted cheese on toast satisfies the need for sustenance during a long, late session of cards.
- Serves: 24 pieces
- Course: Snack
- 2 cup Guinness or other robust ale (60 ml)
- 1 tbsp butter (15 ml)
- 2 cups grated aged cheddar cheese (500 ml)
- 1 tbsp flour (15 ml)
- 2 tsp dry mustard (1 ml)
- Pinch cayenne
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed, toasted
- 6 slices partially cooked side bacon, each cut into 4 pieces
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat ale and butter over medium heat.
- In a bowl, toss cheese with flour, dry mustard, and cayenne. Gradually add to ale mixture, stirring continuously until all cheese is melted and mixture is smooth and thick. Do not boil. Add Worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat and stir in egg yolk. Season with pepper.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange toast slices on a cookie sheet. On each, spread some cheese mix and arrange 4 bacon pieces. Set under broiler to brown. Divide into 4 pieces to serve.