Avocado Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
A simple green salad need not be boring. Here, the tart acidity of grapefruit and a citrus dressing is a refreshing contrast to the creamy, smooth avocado. It’s a treat for the eye too, with the red flesh of the grapefruit standing out against the pale green lettuce leaves.
- Serves: 4
- Course: Snack
- 1 red grapefruit
- 1 ripe but firm avocado
- Citrus Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 head Boston lettuce
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp grapefruit juice (15 ml)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (30 ml)
- 1-2 tsp liquid honey (5–10 ml)
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- Kosher or sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds (optional) (2 ml)
- Freshly ground pepper
Avocado SaladWith a sharp knife, cut away peel and white pith from grapefruit. Holding fruit over a bowl to capture juice, cut segments free from membrane. Set segments aside. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 ml) grapefruit juice for the dressing.
- Slice avocado. Gently toss grapefruit and avocado slices with half of Citrus Vinaigrette.
- Arrange Boston lettuce leaves in a shallow bowl or on individual plates. Drizzle with remaining Citrus Vinaigrette. Garnish with grapefruit and avocado slices.
Citrus VinaigretteGrate zest of lime and mix with grapefruit and lemon juices, honey, shallot, and a pinch of salt. Whisk in oil. Stir in poppy seeds, if using. Adjust seasoning. Makes about 1/2 cup.