Golden Scrambled Eggs & Fresh Tomato Salsa
This attractive and tasty brunch dish is simple to prepare. The secret to these creamy eggs is to cook them slowly over low heat without overcooking. For convenience, chop the tomatoes and green onions for salsa the day before.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Foodland Ontario
- Serves: 6
- Course: Breakfast
- 2 large greenhouse tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- ½ cup (125 mL) thinly sliced fresh basil (or 2 tsp/10 mL dried basil)
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1-½ tbsp (22 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup (50 mL milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced sweet yellow pepper
- 1 container (250 g) herb-and-garlic cream cheese
- 18 diagonal slices baguette, toasted
- In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, green onions, vinegar, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Whisk eggs and milk together. In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add yellow pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to low. Add egg mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until egg starts to set. Add cream cheese by spoonfuls and cook, stirring, until thick and creamy.
- Arrange 3 slices toast on each plate in shape of trillium; spoon egg mixture on top. Spoon salsa in middle of trillium design.
- - If dicing tomatoes ahead of time, drain off any liquids before completing salsa.
- - If you want, you can substitute 250 g chèvre for herb-and-garlic cream cheese and add ¾ tsp (4 mL) dried thyme.