Award-winning Cranberry Nut Pie
Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner, 2000 – Grand Prize Winner
By Elaine Summers – Whitestone Lake, ON
- Serves: Makes about 10 servings
- Course: Desserts
- 3 cups (750 ml) cranberries (12 oz/375g)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) orange liqueur or orange juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) orange rind, grated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Butter and lightly flour a deep 10" (25 cm) pie plate or quiche pan with a solid bottom.
- Place cranberries in pan. Sprinkle with nuts and 1/2 cup (125ml) sugar.
- Beat eggs, 1 cup (250ml) sugar, melted butter, liqueur, and orange rind together in a mixing bowl until blended. Add flour and baking powder, beating with a whisk until smooth. Pour over cranberries.
- Bake in a preheated 325ºF (160ºC) oven 35-45 minutes, or until the top is set and golden. Serve warm or cool with a scoop of ice cream.
- - This pie freezes well. Tuck one away in your freezer for unexpected company.
- - For variety, try mixing blueberries in with the cranberries.