Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner, 2000 – Third Prize
By Carla Meade – Island Lake, AB
- Serves: 12
- Course: Desserts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) corn oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) cherry pie filling
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- Beat eggs, sugar, oil, water, and vanilla together until blended.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt, mixing until smooth. Spread two-thirds of the batter evenly in an oiled 10" x 15" x 1/2" (2 L) cookie sheet with sides. Smooth pie filling over batter. Spread remaining batter over filling, letting some fruit show through.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon for topping. Sprinkle over cake.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF (180ºC) oven 20-30 minutes, or until set and golden. Cut into squares.
- Try using blueberry or apple pie filling instead of cherry.