Hummingbird Delight Rhubarb Muffins
Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner, 2000 – First Prize
By Maria Lagacé – Rocky Lake, MB
- Serves: Makes about 2 dozen muffins
- Course: Breakfast
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 ml) butter, melted
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Beat egg, brown sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Gradually add dry ingredients, mixing with a whisk just until smooth. Stir in rhubarb.
- Scoop batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling about three-quarters full.
- Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle about 1 tsp (5 ml) per muffin over batter.
- Bake in preheated 375ºF (190ºC) oven for about 20 minutes, or until set.
- If you use frozen rhubarb, thaw and pat dry before mixing with batter.