Croissant Bread Pudding
This rich breakfast treat is assembled the night before and just popped into the oven in the morning. We publish it courtesy of Susan Worts, hostess extraordinaire, who we featured in our Summer 2011 issue.
- Serves: 6-8
- Course: Desserts
- 6-8 croissants
- Marmalade or preserves (about 1 tsp / 5 ml per croissant)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream (500 ml)
- 1 cup milk (250 ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 ml)
- Icing sugar and berries for garnish
- Slice each croissant lengthwise and spread one side with a thin layer of marmalade or your choice of preserves. Reassemble croissants.
- Butter a 9" X 13" (23 cm X 33 cm) baking pan, and pack croissants in snugly. They should not spill over rim.
- Thoroughly beat eggs, whipping cream, milk, and vanilla. Pour mixture over croissants. The croissants may initially float, but they will absorb the liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight.
- Bake at 350° F (180° C) for about 40 minutes, or until liquid has set.
- Using a small strainer, dust lightly with icing sugar. Garnish with a few berries for colour. Serve while still warm, topped with maple syrup and accompanied by fruit salad and bacon.