Maple Rum Ribs
Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner, 2003 – Second Prize
By Karen Fontaine
- Serves: 4
- Course: Dinner
- 2 racks baby back ribs (about 12
- garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- white vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) amber or dark rum
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- Preheat barbecue to 400°F (200°C). Turn off one side of grill so that indirect heat is used for cooking.
- Season ribs with garlic powder and pepper. Place on unlit side of grill. Cook ribs 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes with vinegar.
- Combine rum and syrup. Cook ribs 15 minutes more, basting every 5 minutes with glaze.
- - The rum glaze also works well on pork and chicken.
- - In a pinch, white rum will do, but the colour and flavour will be slightly lighter.